About Vitali Berditchevski
Vitali Berditchevski is a commercial litigation lawyer at Torys LLP in Toronto. He graduated with Distinction and the Silver Medal from the University of Western Ontario Faculty of Law. Vitali also previously graduated with High Distinction from the Management program at the University of Toronto.
Vitali gained experience in several different fields prior to pursuing law. He did programming for an online start-up, worked as an analyst in an IT department of a major Canadian financial institution, and consulted for a major automaker where he was presented with an award by top management for his timely and innovative ideas.
In the legal sphere, Vitali’s interests lie in commercial litigation, regulatory law, insolvency and employment law. He took law school courses and wrote papers on these topics, some of which have been published. While in law school, Vitali served on the Western Law Advocacy Committee, judged internal advocacy competitions and coached mooters. He was also a student member of the law school’s Admissions Committee.
From 2009 to 2012, Vitali worked as a Case Manager at the Western Business Law Clinic, which provides pro bono legal services to entrepreneurs who were starting and growing their businesses.
In the summer of 2014, Vitali completed an intensive trial advocacy course at Osgoode Hall Law School, with a focus on effective examination of witnesses and presentation of evidence.
Vitali is active in Toronto’s legal community and is a member of the Canadian Bar Association, Ontario Bar Association and the Advocates’ Society. He also continues to provide guidance and coaching to mooters.
Vitali can be contacted via LinkedIn.
Recent Notable Achievements:
- 2014: Successfully completed the Osgoode Hall Intensive Trial Advocacy Workshop
- 2013: Called to the Bar of Ontario and commenced working as a Litigation Associate at Torys LLP
- 2012: Graduated with Distinction and the Silver Medal
- 2012: Middlesex Law Association Silver Medal and Scholarship for second highest standing over all three years of law school
- 2012: Insolvency Institute of Canada Bruce Leonard Prize for top standing in Insolvency Law
- 2012: Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP Award for top standing in Corporate Law
- 2012: Law Society of Upper Canada Prize
- 2012: Dean’s Honours List for Third Year Law
- 2012: Winner: Chaitons LLP Insolvency and Restructuring Competition
- 2012: Publication: Vitali Berditchevski, .Re-Evaluating the Decision on Extra-Territorial Application of the Arthur Wishart Act. (2011) 17:1 Franchise & Distribution Journal 1382 (Federated Press).
- 2011: Fraser Milner Casgrain LLP Scholarship for top standing over two years
- 2011: Dean’s Honours List for Second Year Law
- 2011: Competitor in the Wilson External Appellate Advocacy Competition
- 2010: Dean’s Honours List for First Year of Law
- 2010: Fasken Martineau Dumoulin LLP Prize for top standing in first year law
- 2010: McMillan LLP Award for top standing in first year law
- 2010: Aird & Berlis LLP Award in Contract Law
- 2010: Ogilvy Renault LLP (Norton Rose Canada LLP) Scholarship Award 2010: UWOFA Scholarship Award
- 2010: Winner: Lenczner Slaght Advocacy Competition in Legal Ethics
- 2009: Finalist: Torys LLP Negotiation Competition at UWO Faculty of Law
- 2009: Graduate with High Distinction from the University of Toronto
- 2009: Dean’s Honours List for fourth year of undergraduate studies in Business Management
- 2008: Kaizen Award for innovative ideas at Toyota Canada Inc.